All students in the B. App. Sc. program have to undertake a final year project. The project is over two semesters.
For B. Sc. students, the project is optional and is over 1 semester.
The aims of the project are:
i) to give an opportunity for students to work on a particular topic relevant to the program
ii) to give students an introduction to the methods and experience of research, and to make them better prepared to start a research degree or work in a research and development environment
iii) to develop students’ ability to organise their work in a substantial project.
iv) to develop students’ ability to present their work in both written and oral form.
Below are examples of Projects carried out by former students:
1. Proof of the Solomon’s Theorem
2. Combinatorial Groups
3. Elliptic Curve Cryptography
4. Matrix Transformation
5. Number Theory in Error Correcting Code
7. Watermarking in Image Authentication
8. Artificial Immune System
9. Pre-processing and post-processing in neural networks as applied to human face recognition
B. App. Sc. (Mathematical Modeling, Computer Modeling)
1. Wavelets in Digital Signal Processing
2. Traffic Flow Models
3. Environmental Modelling
4. The Numerical Solution of Nonlinear Systems of Equations
5. Solution of Biharmonic Problem using Parallel Virtual Machine
6. One Dimensional Linear Convection Equation
7. Mathematical Modelling for Fruit Plantation Industry
8. Design of Digital Filters
9. Teaching and Learning Bezier Curves using Visual Basic
10. Rendering of Curves and Surfaces using Mathematica
11. Surface Reconstruction
12. Fairing and Shape Preservation of Curves and Surfaces
13. Range Restricted Curve and Surfaces Interpolation
14. Building a Car Model
15. An Introduction to Bezier’s World
16. Scattered Data Interpolation
17. Animation with 3D Studio
18. Application of CAD Software in Drawing and Animation
B. App. Sc. (Applied Statistics)
1. Customer relationship management for K-economy using knowledge management
2. The effect of big counters in the KL Stock Exchange composite index
3. Calibration and MSA in Dynacraft
4. Quality control charts for attributes
5. Use of CPK test and hypothesis testing in industry
6. Research in Distribution of Down’s Syndrome in Penang
7. Application of Statistics in the Power Tool Industry
8. Optimization of Battery Park Equipment Parameters Using Steepest Ascent and Uniform Precision Centre Composite Design
9. A Comparison of the Performances of the R, S and S2 Control Charts
10. Investigating Non-Financial Factors Affecting KLSE Composite Index
11. Time Series Analysis for Futures Contract in Malaysian Derivative Market
12. Research in factors affecting Major Diseases in Malaysia by using Categorization Analysis Methodology
13. Economic analysis in car production
14. Use of quality control techniques in industry
15. Research in Factors Affecting Marriage and Divorce Rates in South Malaysia
16. Sample Size Determination
17. Preventive Maintenance for Feeder
18. Product Failure Analysis, Process Verification and Optimization
19. To Qualify Tin Silver Copper Solder Paste for SMT Process
B. App. Sc. (Mathematics and Economics)
1. Econometric Model for Malaysian Coconut Products: Internal and External Simulation Analysis
2. Automobile Market Analysis in Malaysia
3. Gross National Products in Aggregate Demand: Analysis for Malaysia
4. The Correlations between Exchange Rates, Foreign Reserves and Foreign Indices against Kuala Lumpur Composite Index
5. Firm Performance Analysis against Income
6. An Inflation Analysis by Using Econometric Approach
7. Modelling Financial Flows in the Malaysian Economy
8. Time Series Analysis for Currency Exchange Before and After Economy Downturn
9. Research in Financial Ratio Usage as Economic Index
10. Time Series Analysis for Major Sectors in BSKL Main Board
11. Malaysia’s Stock Market After the World Economic Crisis
12. Financial Literacy among USM Students
13. Efficiency of Foreign Exchange Markets: An ASEAN Countries Perspective
14. Sabotage and Productivity in Tournament Competition
15. Moral Hazard and Reciprocity in A One Short Relation in Employment Contract
B. App. Sc. (Operations Research)
1. Studies on use of Operations Research in society
2. Traveling Salesman Problem
3. Genetic Algorithms in Scheduling Problems
4. Application of AHP in Tourism
5. Analysis of Optimizing Processes in Shipping and Logistics
6. Process Characterization
7. Multiple Criteria Decision Making (MCDM) in Industry Problems
8. The Project of Workforce Planning Tool: Worker Allocation Solver in Intel
Best Poster of Final Year Project 2019 / 2020
Panduan Pelaksanaan Praktikum
Kursus Hubungan Etnik (SHE101/2)
Semester I, Sidang Akademik 2018/2019
Kursus ini adalah kursus universiti yang wajib ke atas semua pelajar. Kursus ini di ambil pada semester pertama tahun kedua pengajian pelajar.
Berikut fail panduan perlaksanaan kursus SHE101
Untuk sebarang pertanyaan, sila hubungi Dr. Yazariah Mohd Yatim - email@example.com
Industrial training is optional (but encouraged) for all undergraduate students. Participation in an industrial training will be mentioned in your academic transcript, but no unit and grade will be assigned.
The following files will help you in writing your report, preparing your logbook and also in finding places for your training.
- Application and Support Letters (Sample)
- Format of Report
- Format of Logbook
- Sample of LI Report
- Website of latest Companies in Penang
LI handouts from Industrial Talks :
Dissertation Template (for MAT510 and MST516)
Upload date: June 2019.
You may download the template here.
MGM Project Report Template (for MGM599)
Upload date: August 2019.
You may download the template here.
Before starting dissertation or project
For international students, please check out
K.A.W.A.N: a volunteer initiative set up to facilitate and assist postgraduate international students in the process of applying for as well as pursuing their academic pursuits in Universiti Sains Malaysia
The USM International (USMi) is the family of International students of USM, which includes students from throughout the world who strive to create a welcoming and inclusive environment for all USMites.
USM offers exchange program to other partner universities. With this program, you are able to transfer academic credit to your current program and exempted from paying tuition fee at that university.
For more information, please visit http://www.imcc.usm.my/v2/student-exchange-programme/
For eLearning, please click here