Tan Guat Yew
|Tan Guat Yew
B.Applied Sc. USM, M.Applied Sc. NTU
Room no: 123, Ext: 3944
Main research areas
- Image processing specifically in hand detection
- Augmented Reality
- Computer Graphics
Post-grad students graduated under main supervision:
- Leim Peng Peng, MSc (2016). An Improved Watershed Transform Algorithm for Two-Hand Tracking under Partial Occlusion.
- Woun Bo Shen, MSc (2016). A Partitioning Method in Noise Reduction and a Hybrid Convex Hull Algorithm for Finger Tips Detection on an Outstretched Hand.
- Ng Kah Pin, MSc (2015). Vision-Based Three Dimensional Hand Interaction in Markerless Augmented Reality Environment.
Short Biodata (< 100 words)
Ms Tan Guat Yew is currently a Senior Lecturer in School of Mathematical Sciences, Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM), with research of interest in Image Processing and Augmented Reality. Her papers have appeared in some international conferences. Prior to joining USM, she was involved in Consulting Industry in the area of Information Technology for over 10 years. Ms Tan graduated from Universiti Sains Malaysia in year1991 with Bachelor of Applied Science in Computational Mathematics and Computer Aided Geometrical Design. In year 1996, she obtained her Master of Applied Science in Computer Technology from Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
Sample publications within the last 5 years:
- Peng Peng Leim, Guat Yew Tan, Kah Pin Ng and Miin Huey Ang, “Using Watershed Transform for Vision-based Two-Hand Occlusion in an Interactive AR Environment”, Information Technology in Industry, Vol 3, no. 1, 31 Aug 2015, published by La Trobe University, Australia.
- Kah Pin Ng, Guat Yew Tan and Ya Ping Wong, “Vision-Based Hand Detection for Registration of Virtual Objects in Augmented Reality”, International Journal of Future Computer and Communication (IJFCC), Vol 2, no. 5, pp 423-427, Oct 2013, published by International Association of Computer Science and Information Technology Press (IACSIT).
- Guat Yew Tan, Woun Bo Shen and Ya Ping Wong, “A Hybrid Convex Hull Algorithm for Fingertips Detection”, the 4th Int’l Conference on Computer Engineering and Mathematical Sciences (ICCEMS 2015), Langkawi, Malaysia, 10-11 Dec 2015.
Pn. Tan Guat Yew
B.App.Sc. (USM), M.Sc. (NTU)
Current Professional Membership
Current Teaching and Administrative Responsibilities
April 2002 – Jan 2003 – IT Project Manager, Silterra (M) Sdn Bhd.
October 2000 – Mac 2002 – Project Manager, SAS Institute Sdn Bhd
July 1997 – September 2000 – Consultant, IBM (M) Sdn Bhd
November 1997 – October 1997 – Senior Consultant, CSA (S) Pte Ltd, Singapore
Conferences and Training
Seminar & Workshop on Scholarly Publishing, Bayview Beach Resort, Penang, 28-30 Sep 2010.
Research and Publications
< 10 years experience
Tan Guat Yew, “Evolution of Petri net tools”,12th Mathematical Sciences National Symposium, International Islamic University, Kuala Lumpur, 23-24 December 2004.
Tan Guat Yew, “EMASE: A Petri Net Tool”, Computer Science and Mathematics Sumposium (CSMS) 2006, KUSTEM, Kuala Terengganu, 8-9 December 2006.
Norhashidah Mohd Ali and Tan Guat Yew, “C++ Programming: An Introduction”, USM Press, 2007.
Kah Pin Ng, Guat Yew Tan and Liao Yi, Iman, “Overview of Augmented Reality Tools”, To appear in Seminar Kebangsaan Aplikasi Sains & Matematik (SKASM) 2010 Sempena Simposium Kebangsaan Sains Matematik (SKSM) ke-18, Johor Bahru, Dis. 8-10, 2010.
Other Relevant Information