Ong Hong Choon
|Ong Hong Choon
B.Sc. UM, Dip. Ed. UM, M.Sc., Ph.D. USM
Neural Networks – Applications in Statistics
Room no: 019, Ext: 4763
Main research areas
1. Data Mining
2. Machine Learning
3. Metaheuristic Algorithms
4. Statistical Modelling
Post-grad students graduated under main supervision:
1. Surafel Luleseged Tilahun, PhD (2013). Prey-predator algorithm (PPA): A new metaheuristic optimization approach
2. Khoo Hee Kooi, PhD (2013). Integration of human perceptions in automatic image segmentation system
3. Ekele Alih, PhD (2015). Cluster-Based Estimators for Multiple and Multivariate Linear Regression Models.
4. Davinna Jeremiah, PhD (2016). An adaptive outlier detection for scatter points of unascertained models
5. Ang Sau Loong, MSc (2008). A Proposed Method for Selecting the Clustering Algorithm in Radial Basis Function
6. Khoo Hee Kooi, MSc (2009). Cluster Coding with Modified Flood Fill Algorithm for Texture Segmentation
Short Biodata (< 100 words)
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Ong Hong Choon has a research interest in data analysis and machine learning. His work deals with extracting information or knowledge from numerical data for clustering or regression with the purpose of understanding these systems. His research papers are published in reputable international refereed journals, by renowned publishers such as Taylor & Francis, IEEE Press, Springer-Verlag, American Institute of Physics Inc., Elsevier, World Scientific and Hindawi Publishing Corporation. In the local front, he has journal publications by local research universities, such as Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, Universiti Putra Malaysia and Universiti Teknologi Malaysia
Sample publications within the last 5 years:
1. Surafel Luleseged Tilahun and Hong Choon Ong (2015) Prey-Predator Algorithm: A New Metaheuristic Algorithm for Optimization Problems. International Journal of Information Technology & Decision Making. Vol. 14, No. 6, 1331–1352. . (ISI Impact Factor : 1.406)
2. Hong Choon Ong and Ekele Alih (2015) A Control Chart Based on Cluster-Regression Adjustment for Retrospective Monitoring of Individual Characteristics. PLoS ONE 10(4): e0125835. (ISI Impact Factor : 3.234)
3. Alih, E. and Ong, H.C. (2015). Cluster-based L2 re-weighted regression. Statistical Methodology. Volume 27, November 01, 2015, Pages 51-81. (ISI Impact Factor : 0.637)
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Ong Hong Choon
B.Sc. Dip. Ed (U.M.), M.Sc. (U.S.M.), Ph.D. (U.S.M.)
Statistical Modeling and Machine Learning Applications
1. H.C.Ong, S.H.Quah and H.C.Low (1998). An application of the backcalculation to estimate past HIV infection rates in Malaysia. The Medical Journal of Malaysia 53 (4), 385-391.
2. H.C.Ong and S.H.Quah. (2002). Function approximation with multilayered perceptrons using L1 criterion. Proceedings of the 7th ATCM. 604-613.
3. Ong Hong Choon, Suraiya Kassim, Teh Seok Cheng and Lawrence Chang Hooi Tuang (2004) Exploring the Value of e using Graphing Calculators 2nd National Conference on Graphing Calculators page 69-72
4. Hong Choon Ong and Ya-Ping Wong (2004) A comparative study on the multilayered perceptrons with one and two hidden layers. Proceedings of the MMU International Symposium on ICT. Ts5b-3. 9-12.
5. H.C.Ong and S.H.Quah (2005) Errorbackpropagation using least absolute criterion. International Journal of Computer Mathematics 82(3) 301-312
6. Ong Hong Choon (2005) Modelling the AIDS Epidemic in Malaysia First IMT-GT Regional Conference on Mathematics, statistics and their applications page 228-234
7. H.C.Ong, and K.L.Soo (2006). Backcalculation of HIV Infection Rates in Malaysia. The Medical Journal of Malaysia 61 (5), 613-617.
8. Ong Hong Choon, Lim Chee Kang and Yong Yeow Wui (2006) Nonlinear approximations using multi-layered perceptrons and polynomial regressions. The 2nd IMT-GT Regional Conference on Mathematics, Statistics and Their Applications 13-15 Jun 2006, The Gurney Hotel, Pulau Pinang Vol. 4 page 115-119
9. Ong Hong Choon, Poo Ying Chye and Eng Chit Wah (2006) Modelling the AIDS epidemic in Thailand. The 2nd IMT-GT Regional Conference on Mathematics, Statistics and Their Applications 13-15 Jun 2006, The Gurney Hotel, Pulau Pinang Vol. 3 page 216-219
10. Lai Mei Yan and Ong Hong Choon (2006) Neural network forecasting on electricity consumption in Malaysia. The 2nd IMT-GT Regional Conference on Mathematics, Statistics and Their Applications 13-15 Jun 2006, The Gurney Hotel, Pulau Pinang Vol. 4 page 20-24
11. Ang Sau Loong, Ong Hong Choon and Low Heng Chin (2006) Comparison between modified radial basis functional link nets and radial basis function. The 2nd IMT-GT Regional Conference on Mathematics, Statistics and Their Applications 13-15 Jun 2006, The Gurney Hotel, Pulau Pinang Vol. 4 page 120-125
12. Ong Hong Choon, Ang Swee Fun and Ng Xun Jie. (2007). Forecasting the Water Consumption in Penang. The 3rd IMT-GT Regional Conference on Mathematics, Statistics and Their Applications 5-7 Dec 2007, The Gurney Hotel, Pulau Pinang. Page 923-929.
13. Ang Sau Loong, Ong Hong Choon and Low Heng Chin (2007) Criterion in Selecting the Clustering Algorithm for Radial Basis Functional Link Nets. International Conference on Mathematical Sciences (ICMS’07) 28-29 Nov 2007. Putrajaya. Page 572-579
14. Ong Hong Choon and Ooi Ai Wern (2008). Hierarchical Neural Networks for Censored Data. International Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics. 44(5) 651-660
15. Ong Hong Choon, Leong Chee Hoong and Tai Sheue Huey (2008) A Functional Approximation Comparison between Neural Networks and Polynomial Regression. WSEAS Transactions on Mathematics. 6(7) 353-363
16. Ang Sau Loong, Ong Hong Choon and Low Heng Chin (2008) Criterion in selecting the clustering algorithm in Radial Basis Functional Link Nets WSEAS Transactions on Systems. 11(7) 1290-1299.
17. Hee-Kooi Khoo, Hong-Choon Ong and Ya-Ping Wong (2008). Image Texture Classification using Combined Grey Level Co-occurrence Probabilities and Support Vector Machines. Proceedings of the 5th
International Conference Computer Graphics, Imaging and Visualization (CGIV2008) 26-28 August 2008, USM, Penang, Malaysia. (IEEE Computer Society). Page 180-184.
18. Ong Hong Choon, and Javin Lee Tze Chuin (2008). A Comparison of Neural Network Methods and Box-Jenkins Model in Time Series Analysis. Proceedings of the Fourth IASTED International Conference Advances in Computer Science and Technology (ACST 2008) 2-4 April 2008, Langkawi, Malaysia. Page 344-350.
19. Ang Sau Loong, Ong Hong Choon and Low Heng Chin (2008) Determining the Preprocessing Clustering Algorithm in Radial Basis Function Neural Network. Journal of Quality Measurement and Analysis 4(2), 113-120
20. Ong Hong Choon, Cheah Siew Chuin and Low Sheau Phin (2008) Suatu Perbandingan antara Carta Kawalan Berstatistik dengan Carta Kawalan berdasarkan Rangkaian Neural [A comparison between Statistical and Neural Network Based Control Charts]. Journal of Quality Measurement and Analysis. 4(2), 19-27
21. Hee-Kooi Khoo, Hong-Choon Ong and Ya-Ping Wong (2009). Cluster Coding Algorithm for Stochastic Texture Identification. Proceedings of the 6th International Conference Computer Graphics, Imaging and Visualization (CGIV2008) 11-14 August 2009, Tianjin University, Tianjin, China. (IEEE Computer Society). Page 285-289.
22. Hong-Choon Ong and Hee-Kooi Khoo (2009) Improved Image Texture Classification using Grey Level Co-occurrence Probabilities with Support Vector Machines Post-processing. European Journal of Scientific Research 36(1), 56-64.
23. Hee-Kooi Khoo and Hong-Choon Ong (2009) A Design Process for Texture Segmentation. Proceedings of The IEEE International Conference on Industrial Engineering and Engineering Management (IEEM) 8 – 11 December 2009, Hong Kong. Page 2080-2083.
24. Hong-Choon Ong and Poh-Ying Lim. (2009) Effects of Heavy Tailed Distribution on Statistical and Neural Network Based Control Charts. Proceedings of the International Conference on Information Theory and Engineering (ICITE 2009). 13-15 November 2009, Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia Page 232-236.
25. Hong-Choon Ong and Yew-Jin Ooi (2010) The Influence of Skewed Populations on Statistical and Neural Network Control Charts for Process Mean. Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Computer and Automation Engineering (ICCAE 2010). 26-28 February 2010, Singapore. Page 197-201.
26. Surafel Luleseged Tilahun and Ong Hong Choon (2011) Fuzzy Preference Incorporated Evolutionary Algorithm for Multiobjective Optimization International Conference on Advanced Science, Engineering and Information Technology 2011.Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia, 14 - 15 January 2011. Page 26-30.
27. Hong-Choon Ong and Shin-Yue Chan (2011) A Comparison on Neural Network Forecasting. Proceedings of the International Conference on Circuits, System and Simulation (ICCSS2011). 28-29 May 2011, Bangkok. 7,56-60.
28. Hong Choon Ong (2011) Improving Classification in Bayesian Networks using Structural Learning. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology. 75, 1407-1411.
29. Ong Hong Choon and Surafel Luleseged Tilahun (2011) Integrating Fuzzy Preference in Genetic Algorithm to Solve Multiobjective Optimization Problems. Far East Journal of Mathematical Sciences. 55(2), 183-197.
30. Saratha Sathasivam, Nawaf Hamadneh and Ong Hong Choon (2011) Comparing Neural Networks: Hopﬁeld Network and RBF Network. Applied Mathematical Sciences, 5( 69), 3439 – 3452.
31. Surafel Luleseged Tilahun and Hong Choon Ong (2011) Vector Optimization using Fuzzy Preference in Evolutionary Strategy based Firefly Algorithm. International Journal of Operational Research.
32. Nawaf Hamadneh, Saratha Sathasivam and Ong Hong Choon (2011) Higher Order Logic Programming in Radial Basis Function Neural Network. Applied Mathematical Sciences.
Chapter In Book
1. Hong Choon Ong & Hee Kooi Khoo (2011) A design for stochastic texture classification methods in mammography calcification detection. Chapter in book entitled “Machine Vision”. InTech Open Access Publisher. 17 pages.
1. Ong Hong Choon. (1997). Statistical Methods in AIDS Modelling – with an application to estimate the past HIV infection rates in Malaysia. Seminar Pusat Pengajian Sains Matematik 26 September 1997. Bilik Mesyuarat PPSM, USM.
2. Ong Hong Choon. (2003). Functional Approximation with Multilayered Perceptrons using L1 Criterion. Invited Seminar, 5-6 June 2003 Multimedia University Cyberjaya.
3. H.C.Ong and S.H.Quah. (2001). Error backpropagation using least absolute criterion. International Conference on Recent Developments in Statistics and its Applications. 26-28 June 2001, Cititel, Kuala Lumpur. Page 5.
4. Ong Hong Choon. (2006).Statistics and Neural Networks. Seminar Pusat Pengajian Sains Matematik 24 August 2006 Bilik Mesyuarat PPSM, USM.
5. Hong-Choon Ong, Hee-Kooi Khoo and Ya-Ping Wong (2008). Improved Image Texture Classification using Combined Grey Level C-occurrence Probabilities with Support Vector Machines Post-processing. Asian Mathematical Conference (AMC 2009), 22-26 June 2009. PWTC, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
6. Michael B.C. Khoo & H. C. Ong (2009). Multivariate Short Runs Control Chart and a Machine Learning Application in SPC. Invited Seminar, 20 February 2009 Institut Sains Matematik, Universiti Malaya.
7. Ong Hong Choon (2010) Bayesian Modeling. Workshop, 11-12 May 2010. Faculty of Information Technology, Multimedia University, Cyberjaya.
8. Hong Choon Ong, Lay Fong Sin and Li Ling Tan (2010) Modelling the Aids Epidemic in Penang, Malaysia. The International Conference on Statistical Methodologies and Related Topics (in conjunction with the NZSA Annual Conference) 29 June – 1 July 2010, Massey University, Palmerston North, NEW ZEALAND
re model of infant mortability in Peninsular Malaysia from 1990-2000. Advances in Numerical Methods. Lecture Notes in Electrical Engineering-Advances in Numerical Methods.